Friday, April 28, 2006

Can Men and Women Really Be Just Friends?

It's an age old question: can men and women can just be friends? Often times I hear women say that they have more male friend than female friends. Sometimes, it's because they never really liked how catty women can be. Other times, it's because they were tomboys as kids and they had more in common with guys rather than with girls.

But can they be JUST friends? If you have a lot of male friends, I bet you could count on one hand how many of them are unattractive. That's because there is some baseline attraction between all men and women who sustain a friendship...even if the attraction is simply you thinking your friend could be attractive to other women. He's still attractive.

So, if men and women who are friends are attracted to each other in some small way, can you keep male friends once you're in a relationship? How opposite sex friends affect a relationship?

I'd love to hear stories about whether you have any male friends and whether there is any level of attraction to them. How do you handle it? Is it appropriate when you're in a relationship?


Check out what other people have said about this subject: Click Here for Link

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, yes and no. It has been my experience that friendship between men and women is "settling" on the part of one party if any form of attraction exists.

But yes, they can be friends, it just depends on the circumstance. I like Melissa have "friends" where all i'd have to do is say the word and they'd be all over it. I think I only have one male friend who wouldn't take it further if i made advances (and he's gay). hahaha. so i guess that men and women can have "friendships"

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious. But if a man is heterosexual, and he's your friend, don't you think he'd be qualified as a guy who'd "pounce on you" if you said the word? Let's face it...women exert the control...men are just waiting to get the signal as to what the relationship is gonna be.

I only have 1 friend I wouldn't date ever...and he wouldn't date me...but initially, I was really attracted to him. Then I set him up with my friend, and they were together for 3 years...now, he and I are best friends because through their relationship, I was the liaison. He's like a brother to me, but I can still acknowledge that he is an attractive male. Just not for me since 10th grade. :-) As for the other men in my life, I always gotta have a couple of guys "in my back pocket"...just in case my girls wanna go out and we can ALL get together as a group and have good old fashioned fun...nothing more. ;-) like i said, we exert the control...they follow. :) Hahaha....and EVERY WOMAN has a back-pocket man...I don't care what you say!

Anonymous said...

No, married males and females cannot be just friends individually outside of their marriages. The sex issue always springs up. Even amongest married friends. Come on we all have heard and read stories, know people, have seen movies and TV shows about this. So lets not be so niave. When that sexual feeling gets in between vows or no vows sex wins out unless you are Very Very careful. In other words- stay in groups and don't place yourself in private situations.
That is my take on this issue.