Saturday, July 01, 2006

Something New (The Movie): Is It Really Possible?


If you've seen the movie (now on DVD) "Something New", I hope you can identify with this post. As a sucker for romantic comedies, I was completely engrossed in the movie all the way to the end. A+ on my scale because it had it all: a successful career-focused woman, the adventurous underdog of a white guy (who happened to be extremely cute), the successful power-driven black guy, and enough sexual repression and tension to spark a wildfire that would put Smokey the Bear in retirement.

So, after explaining why I loved the movie to a friend, he told me that what happened in the movie is just too unrealistic because no successful African-American woman would ever go for a struggling, "granola" (his words) white guy with a non-professional job. Period.

I begged to differ, of course, but when he asked for examples, I came up short. So, my question to you all is this:

Do you think it's possible for a successful, career-driven woman to date a non-professional, adventerous guy who makes significantly less money than she does?

On thinking further about the money difference, I just remembered that Simon Baker was an architectural landscaper and did work for million-dollar homes (the parents of the chick who set him and Sanaa up). So, maybe he wasn't so "granola" after all. :)

Speak up! Do professionals only date other success-driven professionals? Or is there still a chance that any of us could experience "something new"?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too loved this movie. I have people comment to me about it. My friend said that we know that if the landscapper was a blackman, it never would have went down like that, because she would not have given him the time of day. To me that seems true. Black women have a tendency to disregard their and want to try something new, because they think it is better. Instead of looking at the whole package. Sanaa's best friend did not have a problem dating an underdog(Mike Epps) and look how happy she was. I have to comment on this, because I deal with this a lot. In the world I live in it is thought that professionals should only date profesionals. To me that is just unrealistic, because do not discrimenate. Anytime somneone sees me with someone who is not a professional their noses are turned up at me. I think happiness can come from anywhere. Everyone has gotten into this ideal that money solves everything, so why not find a rich man. I had a member of my family tell me that it is just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as it is a poor man. That is crap, because you can't help who you fall in love with. If you go out seeking certain requirements in a man, then you may end up alone or worst of all unhappy. That is a rode I do not choose to take. So while I am out and open to love, I will leave my heart open to anyone who thinks they are up for the challenge. The important thing is that they person makes you happy and makes you be the best person you can be. That is the most that you can hope for. Money and all that other jazz will come.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion, love is love, and love is nice. But, when you add living together or marriage, the adventure and no-money man will never work out with love alone.... especially if I have to work hard for my money and success.

-C